MaterialDistrict Rotterdam, 17 - 19 March 2020 |Get Your Free Ticket

MaterialDistrict

Self-regenerating pavement made of recycled tires

Designer Israel Antonio Briseño Carmona of Universidad Autónoma de Coahuila developed a rubber pavement made of recycled tires that regenerates itself using only water.

In Mexico, 80 per cent of the pavements are made of asphalt and the remaining 20 per cent is made of concrete, both materials that are damaged by rain infiltration. Carmona’s project was inspired by concrete that regenerates using bacteria.

The designer started his process using asphalt, but switched to rubber when he observed the many discarded tires that contaminate Mexican cities.

The rubber is heated with certain additives, which creates a putty when the two are mixed. When the putty comes into contact with water, it creates calcium silicate, one of the components of the regeneration and physical-chemical improvement of the pavement.

With his project, Carmona became a national winner of James Dyson Awards 2019.

Photos via James Dyson Awards

Comments