- story by MaterialDistrict
MetaFuse nanocrystalline metal/polymer hybrid is a polymer/metal hybrid technology that can be used to manufacture extremely lightweight components with the strength and stiffness of metal combined with the design flexibility and lightweight benefits of high-performance thermoplastics.
A thin high-strength metal layer is applied to moulded components made of DuPont Engineering Polymers to create lightweight components in complex shapes with the stiffness of magnesium or aluminium and higher strength.
The main features of Metafuse are:
· Increased strength and stiffness at minimum weight
· Direct fabrication of structural components in complex shapes
· Improving strength, stiffness and creep of plastic parts at elevated temperatures
· Adding hard, wear resistant and potentially low friction coating to plastics
· Make plastics more impermeable, conductive and dimensionally stable
· Aesthetics / metal look.