MaterialDistrict Utrecht - 8, 9 & 10 March 2023 - Get your ticket now

MaterialDistrict

Cacao Paper

Code
ONA482
Country
United Kingdom

Request Information

Please sign in first or register for free to contact James Cropper Speciality Papers.

- story by MaterialDistrict

This paper is an innovation making use of the waste skins generated by the 3.5 million tonnes of cocoa beans that are processed each year as part of the cacao and chocolate production industries.

This cacao paper contains 10% cocoa shell content, which gives the paper a natural light brown colour and avoids the need for artificial dyes. The other 90% is predominantly made up of unbleached cellulose fibers from sustainable crops.

This bio-recycling solution was investigated by Barry Callebaut, a manufacturer of cocoa and chocolate products. He looked at how manufacturers could improve their environmental responsibility and enhance their waste recovery processes by reviewing their packaging. Incorporating waste cocoa shells into the paper-making process without the need for any additional processing was the result.

Currently this paper is in production and is certified for use in the food supply chain. One result of this innovation is that chocolate bars can now be wrapped in paper made from the waste materials of the used cocoa beans.

Material Properties